Have you heard about the Locavore iPhone App? This is a brilliant new app which displays fruits and veggies currently in season where you live.
As with many iPhone apps, it is total cool geekines. One thing which makes it geeky sweet is that it automatically picks up your location and with one click, brings up a handy dandy list of various vegetables and fruits currently in season. It also lists those that will soon be available in your neck of the hood.
You can also grab info on local farmers markets. So if you’re planning a trip this weekend to the city market, check with the app and see what is good and new in your hometown.
How does it work? The Locavore iPhone app basically gathers and aggregates info from various trusted web sources, such as the NRDC food miles database and from Local Harvest.
Check out the complete list of features below.
- Automatically detects which state youâ€™re in (currently only covers theÂ US)
- Food thatâ€™s in season nearÂ you
- Food thatâ€™s coming in season near youÂ soon
- Farmersâ€™ markets nearÂ you
- Browse all 234 fruits and vegetables to see where it is currentlyÂ growing
- Links to Wikipedia articles and Epicurious recipes from each food detailÂ page
- Browse all 50 states to see whatâ€™s in season in other parts of theÂ US
Wanna try it?
Go to iTunes and download a copy of Locavore
The app is great for vegetarians (and vegans) who want to keep up with local produce. And if you’re traveling and want to know what is in season elsewhere, the phone will pick up the location and let you know.
Let me know what you think?
6 Responses to “Locavore iPhone App Great For Vegetarians”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.